Totara Flats hut is a Serviced hut managed by the Department of Conservation.
The hut is located on the popular Holdsworth to Kaitoke tramp through the Tahurenikau and Waiohine valleys from Kaitoke to Holdsworth. Read more about the Holdsworth to Kaitkoke route here
The first Totara Flats hut was built by the Tararua tramping Club in 1948. A second hut was built at Totara Flats by the NZ Forest Service in 1973. The current Totara Flats hut was built in 2003 by the Department of Conservation.
In 1904, the Public Works Department had built a hut at Totara Flats, when they were investigating opportunities for generating hydro electric power. The sayers hut, on the East side of the Waiohine river at Totara Flats was built in 1909. This hit was moved further away from the river bank in about 1947.
Totara Flats hut #3
Totara Flats hut #2
Totara Flats hut #1 1967